Guidelines for Filming on Campus
Thank you for your interest in the Wayne State University campus as a possible filming location. These guidelines have been developed to outline established policies and procedures for commercial filming and photography at both on and off-campus locations.
The Business and Auxiliary Operations Department coordinates all requests for commercial and non-commercial filming and photography at Wayne State University.
Requests should be routed to Arthur Lionas via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 313-577-8686.
Campus agencies that might be affected by a film project (e.g. security, grounds and the divisions involved) depend on the Business and Auxiliary Operations Department to screen all requests and confirm arrangements. Please do not contact campus departments directly.
- Obtaining approval: A filming request is not approved until all of the following requirements have been met:
- Approval is obtained from the associate vice president of business and auxiliary operations or her representative for the content and intended use of any proposed film project
- Agreement is obtained regarding the date, duration and hours of filming, location(s), support services required and parking arrangements.
- Consent is obtained from all campus agent(s) for the desired location(s)
- Availability of the desired location is confirmed
- A location rental agreement is signed
- Script approval: A copy of the final script or storyboard must be submitted to the associate vice president of business and auxiliary operations for approval. Script approval must be granted prior to the signing of the agreement.
- Locations: Most areas of the WSU campus may be used for filming. However, locations are available on a case-by-case basis and must be approved prior to filming. A representative of the production company must walk through the desired location(s) with a representative of Business and Auxiliary Operations at least nine business days before the desired filming date.
- Fees: The location fee is based on a half day/full day rate system. The time covered by the agreement begins when the first production vehicle arrives and ends when the last one leaves on the day of the shoot.
- Business and Auxiliary Operations will assist the film company personnel with scouts, securing permission to film from various campus agents, handling contract negotiations, and assisting the cast and crew on the day(s) of filming.
- Charges for these services are listed as an administration fee on the invoice.
- Fees for providing campus services (e.g. security, custodial, etc.) will be listed separately.
- An itemized invoice will be forwarded to the company within 14 days following the end of shooting and must be paid within 14 days of receipt of the invoice.
- Insurance: The filmmaker must provide evidence that they have secured the appropriate permits from the city of Detroit along with adequate insurance coverage for their activities at WSU at least 24 hours before the shoot.
The Board of Governors, Wayne State University shall be named as an additional insured, but only with respect to accidents arising out of said contracts. It must be provided commercial general liability as follows and for no less than:
- US $1 million for each occurrence.
- US $500,000 for damage to rented premises (each occurrence); $1 million aggregate
- US $2 million for general aggregate.
A certificate of insurance must be from a Michigan-licensed insurance carrier. The carrier's license must be current and in effect throughout filming.
The address for the certificate should read:
Wayne State University
Enterprise Risk Management & Insurance Programs
4622 A/AB, Detroit, MI 48202.
- Parking: Special arrangements for the parking of specific vehicles (e.g. generator, camera truck, etc.) can be made. All other parking will be subject to normal procedures.