Hiring: Lead Web Developer
Wayne State University is searching for an experienced Lead Web Developer at its Detroit campus location.
Wayne State is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit, Michigan where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high-quality education. Our deep-rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, diversity and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities which prepare students for success in a global society.
About the Wayne State Web Team
All developers on the Web Team are responsible for the design, integration, and implementation of web applications. We translate our customers' needs into web applications using university-supported technologies. This requires in-depth experience with front-end and back-end web components, experience with accessibility requirements, and interest in optimizing the user's experience on any device.
The Web Team as a whole supports
- Public-facing websites for Wayne State schools, colleges, and departments
- An in-house content management system (CMS)
- "Base" starter template (Github)
- Event calendar and RSVP system
- Campus map application
- "Formy" form application
- Digital signs
- Email/newsletter templates
- Faculty profiles
- Event streaming
- Social media
- Prioritized work-life balance
- Flex time
- Outstanding Health Care insurance plans (HAP, BCN)
- 403(b) with up to 10% matching
- Professional development through Pluralsight, Skillshare, Laracasts, etc
- Opportunity for yearly conferences
- Encouragement to share learnings and speak at conferences
- Full tuition reimbursement
- Hybrid position
- More University benefits
Salary range: $76,424 - $91,709
The Lead Developer role
The Lead Developer is responsible for all server-side interactions prior to being displayed to the end user. This includes but is not limited to load balancer, Web server, interpretation layer, database layer and associated frameworks. They are responsible for the creating and maintaining database driven, large-scale web applications. This role will focus on the University's internal tools and requires in-depth experience with PHP/Laravel and Docker.
- Works in a collaborative, team-oriented environment to aid in the design, build, and maintainance of sophisticated database-driven Internet and Intranet applications.
- Administers multiple production and development web servers: install software, manage middleware, troubleshoot complex configuration issues, perform system diagnostics, and general maintenance.
- Works within limitations of the University-hosted server environment to determine software/middleware requirements.
- Writes web applications that retrieve and update information in relational web centric databases.
- Works with customers to analyze needs and define requirements.
- Keeps up to date with new web technologies that will improve our services.
Back end unique duties
- The ability to translate functional requirements into cross-browser accessibility compliant (WCAG 2.1) websites
- Experience building web applications from scratch on the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack
- Experience writing and maintaining web applications in a PHP framework such as Laravel, Symfony or Slim
- Experience building websites with frontend frameworks such as Tailwind, VueJS and their related build systems
- Experience building websites/application in a virtual environment using VirtualBox, Vagrant or Docker
- Experience collaborating throughout the entire project cycle, from research, strategy, information architecture, visual design, front-end development and maintenance.
- A solid grasp of back-end Web development environments, including HTTP, Web servers, load balancers, the interpretation layer, databases and associated Web frameworks.
- Considerable skill in writing web applications that retrieve and update information in relational Web centric databases.
- The ability to clearly communicate to project stakeholders and process feedback internally and externally.
- The ability to troubleshoot website layout and Web application performance issues and resolve issues independently or direct issues to the responsible party.
- Provide direct supervision to internal Web site interns and guidance to unit Web site content authors.
- Ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail to meet deadlines.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Considerable project management skills, including ability to provide time estimates and prepare accurate records and reports.
- Proficiency in the use of Web applications programming languages, tools, and/or methodologies for developing integrated Web applications typically acquired through formal education or equivalent experience in Web application development.
- Demonstrated ability in analyzing customer requirements and developing basic information systems solutions typically acquired through one to two years of directly related experience in Web application development and support.
- The ability to translate functional requirements into cross-browser Web applications
- Strong understanding of Web technologies and related user device capabilities required to access the Web.
- Strong understanding of test driven development.
Web Team developer positions
This level is mainly concerned with maintaining existing websites and functionality using existing tools. Understands the value of the design process and can help create high quality projects driven by purpose and maintainable code. Strong emphases on the ability to create cross browser compatible code to ensure websites are available on the broadest range of devices. The incumbent should possess the ability to checkout and commit code to a source repository. Once a more senior developer approves code, it is the incumbent’s responsibility to deploy the code to production.
Web Developer II
Senior Web Developer
In addition to the abilities of a Web Developer II, this level requires the incumbent to have a solid grasp of the relevant Web server technologies. They are responsible for all server side interactions prior to being displayed to the end user. This includes but is not limited to load balancer, Web server, interpretation layer, database layer and associated frameworks. The incumbent is responsible for the creation and maintenance of database driven large-scale Web applications.
Lead Web Developer
In addition to the abilities of a Senior Web Developer, this level is responsible for ensuring multiple Web systems integrate. They have a high level of technical expertise in Web platforms, applications, tools, and methodologies. They are responsible for evaluating, testing and implementing the full stack of Web technologies. Act as the quality assurance role for all less senior developers before code used on production. The incumbent will take a leadership role with the team and other developers to ensure oversight, proper training and professional development.